Week ending November 10, 2017
H.R.3705 – Veterans Fair Debt Notice Act of 2017
HR 3705 directs the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to require the use of certified mail and plain language in certain debt collection activities.
Not later than 120 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary of Veterans Affairs shall amend section 1.911 of title 38, Code of Federal Regulations, to require that certified mail be used to send any of the following:
(1) A written demand from the Secretary to a debtor under subsection (b) of such section.
(2) A request for a waiver from a debtor to the Secretary under subsection (c)(2) of such section.
(3) A notification from the Secretary to a debtor under subsection (d) or (e) of such section.
(b) Plain language required.—The Secretary shall write the following in plain language:
(1) Any demand described in subsection (a)(1), which shall include an explanation of why the debtor owes money to the Department of Veterans Affairs.
(2) Any notification described in subsection (a)(3), which shall include options available to the debtor.
(Full text of H.R. 3705 congress.gov)
Sponsor: Rep. Pingree, Chellie [D-ME-1] (Introduced 09/07/2017)
Status: Passed House /
VOTES and FLOOR ACTION
On Passage: On motion to suspend the rules and pass the bill, as amended Agreed to by the Yeas and Nays: (2/3 required): 422 – 0 (Roll no. 621)
Motion to recommit:
Text of the motion:
COST AND IMPACT
Cost to the taxpayers: Data not available
Pay-as-you-go requirements: Data not available
Regulatory and Other Impact: Data not available
Dynamic Scoring: Data not available
Tax Complexity: Not applicable to this bill.
Earmark Certification: Data not available
Duplication of programs: Data not available
Direct Rule-Making: Data not available
Advisory Committee Statement: Data not available
Budget Authority: Data not available
Constitutional Authority: Assumed.
More Bill Information:
Copyright 2017 Legislation News & Report, LLC
All Rights Reserved