Week ending December 8, 2017
H.R.3731 – Secret Service Recruitment and Retention Act of 2017
HR 3731 provides overtime pay for employees of the United States Secret Service protective services through 2018.
Not later than January 30, 2018, and January 30, 2019, the Director of the Secret Service shall submit to the Committee on Homeland Security and the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform of the House of Representatives and the Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs of the Senate a report on the effects of the amendment made by subsection (a)(2). The report shall include, with respect to the previous calendar year—
(1) the total number of United States Secret Service personnel receiving premium pay above the premium pay limitation in subsection (a) of section 5547 of title 5, United States Code;
(2) the total amount of premium pay for that calendar year paid to United States Secret Service personnel above the premium pay limitation in such subsection;
(3) the mean and median amount of premium pay paid to United States Secret Service personnel above the premium pay limitation in such subsection;
(4) the greatest amount paid to United States Secret Service personnel above the premium pay limitation in such subsection and the number of employees who received that amount;
(5) notwithstanding the amendments made by subsection (a), the total number of United States Secret Service personnel who were not fully compensated for service because of the premium pay earnings limitation in section 118 of the Treasury and General Government Appropriations Act, 2001 (5 U.S.C. 5547 note);
(6) the total amount of premium pay United States Secret Service personnel would have been paid but for the premium pay earnings limitation in such section; and
(7) a list of United States Secret Service personnel who, within the calendar year, received premium pay above the premium pay limitation in subsection (a) of section 5547 of title 5, United States Code, and separated from the agency, including the type of separation in each case.
Not later than 180 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Director of the Secret Service shall conduct updated threat assessments on all individuals protected by the United States Secret Service and provide such assessments to the appropriate congressional committees. Such threat assessments shall not be conducted for the President, the Vice President, or any spouses or children of the President or Vice President; or former Presidents or Vice Presidents.
(Full text of H.R. 3731 congress.gov)
Sponsor: Rep. Katko, John [R-NY-24] (Introduced 09/11/2017)
Passed House /
VOTES and FLOOR ACTION
On Passage: On motion to suspend the rules and pass the bill, as amended Agreed to by the Yeas and Nays: (2/3 required): 407 – 4 (Roll no. 655)
Motion to recommit:
Text of the motion:
COST AND IMPACT
Cost to the taxpayers: CBO estimates that enacting the bill would increase direct spending by $10 million in fiscal year 2018. We also estimate that implementing the bill would increase spending subject to appropriation by about $7 million in fiscal year 2018 and $3 million in fiscal year 2019.
Pay-as-you-go requirements: Because enacting H.R. 3731 would affect direct spending, pay-as-you-go procedures apply. Enacting the bill would not affect revenues.
Regulatory and Other Impact: H.R. 3731 contains no intergovernmental or private-sector mandates as defined in the Unfunded Mandates Reform Act and would impose no costs on state, local, or tribal governments.
Dynamic Scoring: CBO estimates that enacting H.R. 3731 would not increase net direct spending or on-budget deficits in any of the four consecutive 10-year periods beginning in 2028.
Tax Complexity: Not applicable to this bill.
Earmark Certification: Data not available
Duplication of programs: Data not available
Direct Rule-Making: Data not available
Advisory Committee Statement: Data not available
Budget Authority: Data not available
Constitutional Authority: Assumed.
More Bill Information:
Copyright 2017 Legislation News & Report, LLC
All Rights Reserved